Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Bottle Decor

Last weekend I made a trip with the boyfriend to his dad's house to do some very late spring cleaning. I was awarded the job of looking through old boxes of junk in the garage and deciding what would be donated to Goodwill. Boy oh boy did I love my job! As it turns out, years ago my boyfriend's father won all the props from a movie set in the 1950s at an auction. To my delight I discovered these props in boxes upon boxes just filled with treasures. Some of these treasures were authentic 1950s memorabilia including perfume boxes, face powders, laundry detergents, teas, and match boxes. But what I loved most of all were the bottles! In this dusty garage, hidden away in boxes to be thrown out, were dozens of glass bottles in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Bottles are so fun to decorate with and very versatile. They spruce up any nook or cranny. I love adding layers by strategically placing bottles.

Here are some examples of how I decorate with bottles:


Bottles look best when bunched, meaning placed near another bottle. Mix shapes, colors and textures to create the best design.

One bottle holds a wooden spool, the other a yellow tissue paper flower. Sweet and nostalgic.


In my bathroom I've added a textured candle to the mix. The orange and blue remind me of beach glass.

Feel free to leave comments!

Questions:
1. Do you collect interesting bottles? If so, what types do you like best?
2. How do you use bottles to decorate?  




2 comments:

  1. Another great idea to use bottles with tops:

    Soap dispenser in kitchen: fill bottle with dish soap. Place on kitchen counter near sink.

    Olive Oil Bottle: As simple as the name sounds; and/or kick up your olive oil by placing dry herbs in the bottle. One week later your olive oil will be herb-infused and will look classy in a fancy antique bottle. :)

    --Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meghan! Those are great ideas! I've actually tried the olive oil with herbs, it's wonderful.

      Delete