Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Do Good: Shop Goodwill

As a thrifty girl there is not much more appealing than a great design piece for a bargain price. In L.A. flea markets are abundant and offer about every gizmo and gadget imaginable. However, flea markets have become trendy and therefore, expensive. Even local thrift stores can be pricey which is why I like to shop my local Goodwill. Goodwill is a not-for-profit organization funded by a massive network of thrift stores. Goodwill's thrift stores offer reasonably priced second-hand goods, wonderful for creating a fresh, flea market style in your home. And, if that weren't enough, as a Goodwill shopper you support job training and employment opportunities for people who have a disability, lack education, or face employment challenges. 

On my most recent Goodwill outing I found these great pieces:

This cheerful fruit scale will look great in my kitchen next to my bright yellow coffee maker. It was only $9.99, in perfect condition and originally $25 at Anthropologie. 

I am always on the hunt for frames as I love surrounding myself with photos of my friends, family and places I've traveled. These three frames were less than $15 dollars and would look great as is with black and white photos or with a fresh coat of paint. Don't be afraid to paint if something is not your color! 

I've been trying to cut back on candlestick buying but I couldn't resist one of these white pillars for $2.99. It's a little too glossy for my taste so I plan on painting it a soft yellow. Sometimes gloss makes things look the bad kind of cheap. Fresh paint will make this candlestick look shabby chic. I will put this pillar on a high shelf with a thick colorful candle to stand out against my eggshell wall. 

I am so envious of the person who now owns this. I don't have space for this cabinet but it was incredibly tempting at just $199. 

This is not a truly vintage jar but I love to mix the old with the new and for $3.99, why not?

My jewelry has been in shambles lately. This tiered jewelry rack originally from Pottery Barn is a stylish organizer and cheap for just $7.99. It is a bit girly but once again, it can be painted!

When I was a kid it was my dream to have a treasure trove like the Little Mermaid's. As an adult, I hunt for my treasures at troves like Goodwill. I love my finds and keep searching for more. What is the best flea market or thrift store bargain you've found? 

4 comments:

  1. Omigosh I'm so impressed with your Goodwill finds!! Stores like Goodwill kind of overwhelm me but my brother finds the best things there! You need to take me shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your posts & great finds from Goodwill! Would you ever consider selling your tiered jewelry stand? I've been looking EVERYWHERE for one like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say the same thing! If you ever decide to sell the tiered stand I would love to buy from you! I've been stalking eBay for one to match the one I have!

    ReplyDelete